Board Openings /Election
We are currently accepting expression of interest forms for candidates interested in joining the EcoAction Arlington board of directors in March of 2023 for a two-year term. Please read below for details and a link to the interest form.
We also have other leadership opportunities available including:
- EcoAction Arlington Committees
- Those interested in committee positions should fill out our expression of interest form.
- Service Project Leaders – Opportunities open soon. We will have a training session in February 2023. Email amy@ecoactionarlington if you are interested in becoming a Service Project Leader or volunteering at our outreach events.
- Energy Masters
Board of Directors
EcoAction Arlington Board of Directors are motivated volunteers who believe in our mission to promote sustainable living and who possess key skills to govern the organization and guide our work. Once elected to the board, board members serve a two-year term (minimum) beginning April 1.
The commitment involves:
- Completing a commitment form
- Volunteering a minimum of 50 hours each year
- Participating on a committee or task force (and attending meetings as needed)
- Making an annual financial contribution to EcoAction Arlington
- Attending a new board member orientation session
- Attending seven board meetings per year, usually on the 4th Wednesday at 7 – 9 p.m. as follows
- March – annual meeting (date varies)
- December – board and staff social (date varies)
The average time commitment per month is five hours. Note that we welcome applications from residents of the entire DC Metropolitan area.
Your Role as a Board Member
Board members will —
- Educate her/himself about the programs & issues relevant to EcoAction Arlington.
- Serve as a committed member of the EcoAction Arlington Board of Directors and meet all board responsibilities detailed above, including making an annual financial gift to EcoAction Arlington (except student board members).
- Prepare for and participate constructively in board meetings and committees and provide financial and programmatic oversight to the organization.
- Set the tone for board and committee work, ensuring that all relevant information is shared among members of subcommittees, board members, and staff.
- Provide practical support and assistance to the Executive Director.
- Advocate on behalf of EcoAction Arlington with key stakeholders.
- Use connections to raise community awareness.
- Work with the development committee and staff to develop and implement the annual fundraising plan.
- Bring in financial support through personally solicited funds and sponsorships.
- Prospective board members complete an expression of interest form due Friday, January 20, 2023.
- Once your interest form has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the nominating committee, and we will contact selected candidates for interviews.
- Applicants selected to be added to the slate of candidates will be approved by the board of directors at our February meeting.
- Board members will be voted in at our Annual Meeting in March (date TBD).
- If we still have positions available after the Annual Meeting, we will continue to accept expression of interest forms on a rolling basis, and additional board members may be voted in at future meetings of the board of directors.
Our priorities for 2023 are listed below. Some specific areas of interest include apartment dwellers, younger professionals, underrepresented groups, and multicultural representatives. We will also consider board members with other interests and skills beyond those highlighted here.
- Development Committee Member – Do you have direct experience and success with nonprofit fundraising? Do you have connections with Arlington businesses? Bonus points if you have a “Certified Fund Raising Executive” (CFRE) credential certification. You will… Participate on a development committee with fundraising priority areas that include major gifts and corporate sponsorships.
- Governance Committee Member – Do you enjoy networking to identify new volunteers interested in joining our leadership? Are you a detail-oriented person who enjoys writing, reviewing and organizing policies, bylaws and board materials? You will:
- Focus on recruitment of future Board members to bolster specific skill areas of the Board.
- Mentor and orient new members as they become integral parts of the Board.
- Help further diversify the Board and steer EcoAction Arlington as an organization as it continues to flourish.
- Update the online board of directors manual.
- Review and update the EcoAction Arlington bylaws.
- Finance Committee Member – Do you have a background in banking or finance? You will:
- Review organizational financial statements.
- Work with the executive director on budget development.
- Oversee banking accounts including modest opportunities for investment.