EcoAction Arlington engages in public discussion and promotes civic engagement among its members to influence government action in support of its mission to protect water, air, and open spaces in Arlington and nearby communities. Local, state, and federal actions play a crucial role in addressing the multitude of threats to our environment and are critical to creating solutions to these threats. Our primary focus is on issues directly affecting the Arlington Community. Led by our Advocacy Committee, we identify priority issues and organize campaigns to educate residents and engage County officials in seeking solutions that address pressing environmental threats such as climate change and air and water pollution.
Community Energy Plan Implementation requires ongoing public engagement in support of bold community action to meet the County’s goal for carbon neutrality and avoid the worst effects of the climate crisis.
Site Plan Review Process engagement ensures that voices for sustainable development and building design are heard during the approval process for new construction and development efforts.
How to Get Involved
- Support ongoing campaigns by signing our petitions, sending letters or emails to local and state officials, and attending and speaking out at formal meetings. Sign up for the EcoAdvocate to be informed on our ongoing campaigns and other vital information.
- Participate in Arlington County’s public engagement opportunities to influence environmental policies and plans. Read our Demystifying Speaking at the County Board for tips.
- Join the Advocacy Committee – The Advocacy Committee sets priorities and oversees campaigns to promote policies and programs that advance the County’s ambitious environmental and climate goals.
- Join the R4 Action Group, which focuses on recycling and waste management issues.
- Engage in State-level advocacy efforts.
Events and Resources
A three-part series on how to build a better community via zero waste practices: 10/11/2022, 11/29/2022 and 1/17/2023.
Virtual webinar series on how to secure state and county commitments to carbon neutrality by 2050. Three presentations were given on 9/23/2021, 11/4/2021, and January 6, 2022.
The EcoAction Arlington Advocacy committee publishes The EcoAdvocate periodically. The newsletter includes news and updates on advocacy initiatives at the County and State levels and other information of interest.
View our current and archived newsletters here.
Read our EcoAdvocate archived articles here.