Tree Canopy Fund 2019-2020
Here is an update on all Tree Canopy Fund programming for this year.
- Tree Planting: We typically offer two opportunities to apply a year with deadlines in June and December.
- Applications to get a tree planted in the spring of 2020 are due by midnight on Friday, December 20. Details about the application process are below.
- New for Spring 2020 – we are offering the opportunity to apply for small trees for property owners with small front yards impeded by utility lines.
- Applications to get a tree planted in the fall of 2020 will be posted in March.
- Trees Not Thriving: Reports for trees that were planted during the spring of 2019 that are not thriving should be submitted online. In order for your tree to be considered for warranty replacement, you must also email us after submitting your report: [email protected].
- Application for Maintainance: We offer funding for maintenance to be performed on specific trees designated by Arlington County through their Champion Tree Program and Tree and Shrub Ordinance. Please email to request support.
Tree Planting Program Overview
Concerned about the declining tree canopy in Arlington? We are, too! So, in 2009 the Tree Canopy Fund (TCF), was launched after Arlington County Board approval in 2007 with the goals of arresting the decline and restoring and increasing the County’s tree cover over time. Administered by EcoAction Arlington and the Arlington County Urban Forestry Commission (UFC), the fund provides grants to individuals and community groups to plant and maintain trees on private property. Since its inception, 1,213 trees have been planted!
One individual who received a tree from the Tree Canopy Fund, Phyllis Castillo, shared her experience with us here.
The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) appreciates taking part in the Tree Canopy Fund program, which provides us with the ability to beautify our properties with new trees. Planting these trees is something that normally would not fall within our means to do.” – Nina Janopaul, CEO/President, Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing
Application Instructions – Spring 2020 Planting
- Review program guidelines to make sure your property is eligible and you understand how applications are evaluated. (Additional background information is also provided below.)
- Submit an online application form by midnight, December 20. There is also a PDF available for reference so you can review required information before you apply online. Note: if you have a small front yard with overhead utility wires, complete this application. All other applicants should use this link to apply for large native species.
Tree Planting – Background Information and Materials
Applications are limited to property owners planting trees on private property.
Those eligible to apply for and receive trees include:
- Civic and homeowner associations
- Community nonprofit organizations
- Civic service clubs
- School-related groups planting on private property
- Ad hoc neighborhood groups
- Places of worship
- The trees provided have diameters of about two inches when planted. At maturity, they will be large canopy trees.
- If your application is approved, the trees will be planted by a contractor. The property owner is responsible for watering trees.
- EcoAction Arlington and the UFC reserve the right to reduce the scope and/or cost of any proposal.
- Applications will be accepted and approved once or twice a year, depending on the availability of funds.
- Please note that participants who change their minds about getting a tree after applying are none-the-less requiring large amounts of time and expense on the part of EcoAction Arlington and the many volunteers who support this program. If you do need to withdraw your application, please notify us as soon as possible in writing and include a reason for the withdrawal. We reserve the right to not accept future applications to this program from anyone who withdraws their application without a reasonable explanation after February 1.
Tree Canopy Fund Materials
Resources for Applicants