Tree Canopy Fund 2018-2019
Here is an update on all Tree Canopy Fund programming for this year.
- Tree Planting: We are pleased to announce a new application cycle for planting in the fall of 2019. The deadline for applications is June 24. Please note that some species have limited availability so we recommend you apply early to get your first choice of species!
- Trees Not Thriving: Reports for trees that were planted during the spring of 2019 that are not thriving should be submitted online. In order for your tree to be considered for warranty replacement, you must also email us after submitting your report: [email protected].
Tree Planting Program Overview
Concerned about the declining tree canopy in Arlington? We are, too! So, in 2009 the Tree Canopy Fund (TCF), was launched after Arlington County Board approval in 2007 with the goals of arresting the decline and restoring and increasing the County’s tree cover over time. Administered by EcoAction Arlington and the Arlington County Urban Forestry Commission (UFC), the fund provides grants to individuals and community groups to plant and maintain trees on private property. Since its inception, 1,213 trees have been planted!
One individual who received a tree from the Tree Canopy Fund, Phyllis Castillo, shared her experience with us here.
The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) appreciates taking part in the Tree Canopy Fund program, which provides us with the ability to beautify our properties with new trees. Planting these trees is something that normally would not fall within our means to do.” – Nina Janopaul, CEO/President, Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing
Application Instructions – Fall 2019 Planting
- Review program guidelines to make sure your property is eligible and you understand how applications are evaluated. (Additional background information is also provided below.)
- Submit an online application form by midnight, June 24. There is a PDF available for reference so you can review required information before you apply online.
Tree Planting – Background Information and Materials
Applications can be for:
Those eligible to apply for and receive trees include:
- Civic and homeowner associations
- Community nonprofit organizations
- Civic service clubs
- School-related groups
- Ad hoc neighborhood groups
- Places of worship
- The trees provided have diameters of about two inches when planted. At maturity, they will be large canopy trees.
- If your application is approved, the trees will be planted by a contractor. The property owner is responsible for watering trees.
- EcoAction Arlington and the UFC reserve the right to reduce the scope and/or cost of any proposal.
- Applications will be accepted and approved once or twice a year, depending on the availability of funds.
- Please note that participants who change their minds about getting a tree after applying are none-the-less requiring large amounts of time and expense on the part of EcoAction Arlington and the many volunteers who support this program. If you do need to withdraw your application, please notify us as soon as possible in writing and include a reason for the withdrawal. We reserve the right to not accept future applications to this program from anyone who withdraws their application without a reasonable explanation after October 1.
2019 Tree Canopy Fund Materials
Resources for Applicants