Tree Canopy Fund 2018-2019
Here is an update on all Tree Canopy Fund programming for this year.
- Tree Planting: The deadline for planting trees in the fall of 2018 has passed. Check back here for information about applications for planting in the spring of 2019. We anticipate a deadline of mid-December.
- Trees Not Thriving: Reports for trees that were planted during the spring of 2018 that are not thriving should be submitted online. In order for your tree to be considered for warranty replacement, you must also email us after submitting your report: [email protected].
Tree Planting Program Overview
Concerned about the declining tree canopy in Arlington? We are, too! So, in 2009 the Tree Canopy Fund (TCF), was launched after Arlington County Board approval in 2007 with the goals of arresting the decline and restoring and increasing the County’s tree cover over time. Administered by EcoAction Arlington and the Arlington County Urban Forestry Commission (UFC), the fund provides grants to individuals and community groups to plant and maintain trees on private property. Since its inception, 1,213 trees have been planted!
One individual who received a tree from the Tree Canopy Fund, Phyllis Castillo, shared her experience with us here.
The Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing (APAH) appreciates taking part in the Tree Canopy Fund program, which provides us with the ability to beautify our properties with new trees. Planting these trees is something that normally would not fall within our means to do.” – Nina Janopaul, CEO/President, Arlington Partnership for Affordable Housing
2018 Application Instructions – Fall Planting
- Review program guidelines to make sure your property is eligible and you understand how applications are evaluated. (Additional background information is also provided below.)
- Submit an online application form by midnight, June 22. There is a PDF of the application form available for reference so you can review required information before you apply online.
Tree Planting – Background Information and Materials
Applications can be for:
Those eligible to apply for and receive trees include:
- Civic and homeowner associations
- Community nonprofit organizations
- Civic service clubs
- School-related groups
- Ad hoc neighborhood groups
- Places of worship
- The trees provided have diameters of about two inches when planted. At maturity, they will be large canopy trees.
- If your application is approved, the trees will be planted by a contractor. The property owner is responsible for watering trees.
- EcoAction Arlington and the UFC reserve the right to reduce the scope and/or cost of any proposal.
- Applications will be accepted and approved once or twice a year, depending on the availability of funds.
2018 Tree Canopy Fund Materials
Resources for Applicants