This program is for maintenance of mature trees. If you are interested in applying for a new tree to be planted on private property, then check the general Tree Canopy Fund Planting: Background Material page.
Important Update – we are not currently accepting new applications to this program. We are taking a hiatus from new applications so we can process the applications we’ve already received (updated 8/4/2022).
The new Arlington County Tree Canopy Fund Maintenance Program has been authorized by the Arlington County Board to provide maintenance for mature trees on private property in good health that are going to survive for many years to come. EcoAction Arlington is now conducting a pilot of this program.
Funding for this pilot program is limited to private properties in Arlington County. In the event of an influx in applications, priority will be given to trees native to our local ecology as defined by the Virginia Native Plant Atlas found at vaplantatlas.org. Priority will also be given first to census tracts that have low tree canopy, and secondly, to lower-income neighborhoods.
Maintenance services provided by this program include only the following services:
- Decompaction of the soil within the critical root zone
- Applications for insects, pathogens, and other common integrated pest management services.
How does this program work?
- Anyone interested in the program must complete an application after certifying they meet the following criteria:
- The tree must be located on private property including private schools, houses of worship, single and multi-family housing, and properties managed by non-profit groups.
- The tree must be larger than 12″ Diameter at Breast Height (DBH) (or larger than 37.5″ in circumference at breast height).
- The tree can not have any structural integrity issues, such as a history of being heavily pruned to accommodate utility wires.
- For this pilot program, property owners are limited to applying for the assessment of a maximum of two trees.
- A review committee will review all applications to confirm eligibility and to prioritize applications if the available funding amount is exceeded.
- EcoAction Arlington has a contract with an International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist who will meet with approved property owners, assess the tree, and report to EcoAction Arlington any recommended tree services.
- In order for maintenance services to be recommended, the tree must be certified in overall good health by the arborist with an Excellent or Good rating as described by the Guide for Plant Appraisal, 10th edition, authored by the Council of Tree and Landscape Appraisers. Since a mature tree can decline over a decade or more, trees in the exploratory project must be estimated to survive a minimum of 20 more years.
- If maintenance is recommended by the arborist, EcoAction Arlington will contract with a tree care company to provide recommended maintenance. Funding is limited and we can’t guarantee that all trees with recommended tree services will be provided with funding for maintenance.
- If selected for maintenance, the owner of the property or a recognized authority for the entity applying (i.e. the condo association president or a staff person with signatory authority) must complete a waiver before any tree services are completed.
- If maintenance services are provided, the owner agrees to submit a brief annual update for two years reporting on the health of the tree, or to report a dramatic change, such as a lightning strike or a need to remove the tree.
Questions? Contact EcoAction Arlington at firstname.lastname@example.org.