EcoAction Arlington’ ZERO WASTE TIP SHEET
Draft Feb. 18/2016
1. The following materials can be recycled in the County.
2. The following materials need to be placed in ‘œtrash’ bins
3. The County will provide free recycling bins for your event, but you will need to have banners or signs near each recycling station to show event participants what can (see #1) and can not (see #2) be recycled in the county. EcoAction Arlington can help.
4. Recycling and trash bins must be co-located; meaning next to each other and appropriately identified. Bins should be placed in high traffic areas , but not interfere with fire exits. EcoAction Arlington can help.
5. Recycling and trash bins should be different colors and clearly marked ‘œrecycle’ or ‘œrecycling’ and ‘œtrash’.
6. In keeping with the County’s current ‘œZero Waste’ resolution, you should encourage vendors to sell items in re-usable, recyclable or compostable containers. Ask them to avoid using styrofoam or plastic . Ask them to avoid single-use condiment packets (ketchup, mustard, etc.) in favour of bulk dispensers.
7. Note that the County will very likely provide free water to attendees. Attendees should know they need to bring their own water bottles to your event. Advertise this free service in your promotional materials and encourage ‘œZero Waste’ in our county. Check with the county first, before advertising. EcoAction Arlington can contact the County for you.
8. Create a map so attendees & vendors know where recycling and trash bins are located. EcoAction Arlington can help.
9. Recruit volunteers…… Provide free entry, etc. EcoAction Arlington can help.
10. Use recyclable materials for your event signs. Better yet, Re-use existing signs and don’t put the date on event banners, so you can use them in coming years (and save money).
11. Print brochures or advertising on recyclable materials.
12. Contract with the county for excellent trash and recycling disposal rates.