EcoAction Arlington ‘ ZERO WASTE TIP SHEET’
Draft September 2019
1. Visit this page to see what can be recycled and what needs to go in the trash;
2. Remember that glass, while recyclable, must be separately collected and dropped off at one of the two (2) County drop-off centers (Quincy Park or The Trades Center);
3. The County will provide free recycling bins for your event, but you will need to have banners or signs near each recycling station to show event participants what can and can not be recycled. EcoAction Arlington can help.
4. Recycling and trash bins must be co-located; meaning next to each other and appropriately identified. Bins should be placed in high traffic areas , but not interfere with fire exits. EcoAction Arlington can help.
5. Recycling and trash bins should be different colors and clearly marked ‘recycle’ or ‘recycling’ and ‘trash’. Ideally, a small graphic should be attached to each bin, so people know what goes in which bin.
6. In keeping with the County’s current ‘Zero Waste’ resolution, you should encourage vendors to sell items in re-usable, recyclable or compostable containers. Ask them to avoid using styrofoam or plastic (bags, plates, utensils, straws). Ask them to avoid single-use condiment packets (ketchup, mustard, etc.) in favour of bulk dispensers.
7. The County has a number of “mobile water stations” and can typically provide free water at your event. Attendees will need to bring their own water bottles. If the County can accommodate you, you can then advertise this free service in your promotional materials and encourage ‘Zero Waste’ in Arlington. EcoAction Arlington can contact the County for you.
8. Create and prominently display map to let know where recycling and trash bins are located. EcoAction Arlington can help.
9. Recruit volunteers to help with recycling. As an incentive, consider providing free entry, etc. to your event. EcoAction Arlington can help. And there is more information here:
10. Use recyclable materials for your event signs. You can re-use existing signs if you don’t put the date on event banners. This is a simple way to save resources, time and money.
11. Print brochures or advertising on recyclable materials.
12. Contract with the Arlington County for excellent trash and recycling disposal rates.