Overview: EcoAction Arlington’s Advocacy Advisory Committee is chartered by the EcoAction Arlington Policy on Advocacy Activities (“Policy”), adopted by the EcoAction Board on April 24, 2019. The Advocacy Advisory Committee will study and recommend advocacy priorities for board approval that meet the limitations and parameters set forth in the Policy that preserve EcoAction Arlington’s tax-exempt status. The Advocacy Advisory Committee will also implement all advocacy activities to carry out the priorities approved by the board.
Advocacy Advisory Committee Duties:
- Identify opportunities for, set priorities for, carry out, and track progress on advocacy initiatives.
- Present proposed advocacy priorities for approval at the November EcoAction Arlington Board meeting for the ensuing calendar year.
- Keep the board informed of its activities.
- Create a mechanism for coordinating with other organizations engaged in advocacy activities of interest to EcoAction Arlington.
- What are the Arlington-specific Advocacy Activities in which EcoAction Arlington members would most highly value EcoAction Arlington engagement?
- What are the Arlington-specific Advocacy Activities most likely to be successfully implemented through EcoAction Arlington efforts?
- What are the state-wide Advocacy Activities in which EcoAction Arlington members would most highly value EcoAction Arlington engagement?
- What are the state-wide Advocacy Activities most likely to be successfully implemented through EcoAction Arlington efforts?
- Are there any environmental issues in Arlington that no other organization is presently addressing and that are a high priority for EcoAction Arlington members?
Membership: The Advocacy Committee shall include at least one EcoAction Arlington board member and may include other EcoAction Arlington members or volunteers vetted and approved by the board.
Advocacy Committee member responsibilities include:
- Attending Advocacy Committee meetings.
- Conducting research and analysis to compile advocacy priorities.
- Gathering input from key stakeholders and like-minded organizations.
- Writing and compiling Advocacy Priority Recommendations for Board Approval.
- Carrying out Advocacy Activities authorized by the Board.
- This position will require attending monthly meetings of the Advocacy Committee.
- Several hours a month researching, preparing, vetting and presenting advocacy positions in relevant publications, at government and community meetings, and similar advocacy.
- A two-year minimum commitment is requested.