This page provides instructions on how to apply for a free tree planted through the Arlington County Tree Planting Program (with funding from the Arlington County Tree Canopy Fund) including our work to address tree inequity through the Tree Canopy Equity Program.
Important – please read
We want to help you be successful in participating in this program. We have staff and volunteers available to provide assistance with tree selection, tree siting, and completing the online application. Please contact us for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-228-6427.
- The deadline for applications is midnight on Friday, January 5, 2024
- You must complete a separate application for each tree. If you are applying for four or more trees contact us for a group tree application.
- Review the Background Material and Resources page for additional information and to confirm your eligibility to participate.
- We ask that you commit to planting any trees that you have applied for unless there are extreme, unexpected circumstances. If you need to withdraw your application, please notify us as soon as possible in writing and include a reason for the withdrawal. Please note that large amounts of time and expenses are incurred on the part of EcoAction Arlington and the many volunteers who support this program; we may have already purchased your tree(s) at the time of your withdrawal. We reserve the right to not accept future applications to this program from anyone who withdraws their application without a reasonable explanation after February 15.
- Review Program Guidelines to make sure your property is eligible and you understand how applications are evaluated. If known, please include information about how your application meets the priorities listed on page 2 of the guidelines in your answer to the question “Should your application be prioritized for any of the following? ”
- Each application contains a list of tree species that are available for planting. Certain species are only available to residents of our Tree Canopy Equity Program neighborhoods. Review the list and be prepared to select your top two choices of species. Note that we have limited availability of some species. If needed, we will make awards for limited species on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Your application must include a photo of the planting site and a sketch of the planting site uploaded at the time of the application. The form won’t submit without these two items.
- For your photo, the ideal picture will include someone standing in the location where the tree will be planted (an example photo is provided on the application form). Make sure that it’s clear in the photo that the surroundings are suitable for a large tree. We won’t approve an application without a photo. If you are unable to upload a photo, please upload a letter explaining why not. The maximum file size is 6MB. If your photo is too large, then use a free online tool to resize it first.
- You should get an auto-confirmation message with a copy of your application for every form that you submit. Make sure that you write your correct email address and check it regularly! If you don’t get a confirmation email, then we did not receive your application. In that case, please try resubmitting. Make sure to submit a photo of the planting spot, a map of the property, and to initial the last question! These are the most common reasons that applications are not complete and don’t go through our system.
Tree Canopy Equity Program
The below application is restricted to applicants with private property in the 10 target neighborhoods of our program:
- Arlington View
- Aurora Highlands
- Columbia Heights
- Green Valley
- John M Langston
- Long Branch Creek
- Radnor/Ft.Myer Heights
General Tree Planting Application
If you live in a neighborhood other than one of the ten listed to the left under “Tree Canopy Equity Program,” then fill out the application below.
If you have questions or problems with the application, please contact EcoAction Arlington at email@example.com or 703-228-6427.