Board of Directors and Committee Openings
- Are you a highly motivated individual looking for place to channel your talents for the greater good?
- Are you passionate about empowering people with the information, tools, and resources they need to live a more sustainable lifestyle?
- Do you possess key skills needed to govern and grow a small, but high-impact environmental nonprofit?
If so, we’d love to talk with you about our current openings on our leadership including
Board of Directors
EcoAction Arlington is seeking motivated volunteers to serve on the board who believe in our mission to promote sustainable lifestyles and possess key skills to govern the organization and guide our work. Once invited to join the board and after attending a board orientation session, board members serve a two-year term (minimum) beginning in March 2019. The commitment involves:
- Completing a commitment form
- Volunteering a minimum of 50 hours each year
- Participating on a committee or task force (and attending meetings as needed)
- Making an annual financial contribution to EcoAction Arlington
- Attending a new board member orientation session.
- Attending eight evening board meetings per year, usually on the 4th Wednesday at 7 – 9 p.m. as follows
- March – annual meeting (date varies)
- September –
- December – board and staff social (date varies)
The average time commitment per month is five hours. Note that we welcome applications from residents of the entire DC Metropolitan area.
Your Role as a Board Member
Board members will …
- Educate her/himself about the programs & issues relevant to EcoAction Arlington.
- Serve as a committed member of the EcoAction Arlington Board of Directors and meet all board responsibilities detailed above, including making an annual financial gift to EcoAction Arlington (except student board members).
- Prepare for and participate constructively in board meetings and committee and provide financial and programmatic oversight to the organization.
- Set tone for board and committee work, ensuring that all relevant information is shared among members of subcommittees, board members, and staff.
- Provide practical support and assistance to the Executive Director
- Advocate on behalf of EcoAction Arlington with key stakeholders
- Use connections to raise community awareness.
- Work with development committee and staff to develop and implement annual fundraising plan.
- Bring in financial support through personally solicited funds and sponsorships.
EcoAction Arlington Committees
Not ready for a two-year commitment? Consider, joining a committee. It’s is a great way to get involved with a lesser time commitment.
If you have expertise and/or a strong interest in one or more of the following areas, please get in touch:
- Website development
- Membership and outreach
- Board recruitment and development
- School engagement
- Please email a cover letter and resume.
- Board applications for the 2019-2021 term should be submitted by February 15. (Applications can continue to be accepted on a rolling basis if not all positions are filled.)
- Committee applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
- Potential board members must attend our Thursday, February 22 monthly board meeting.
- Once your application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the executive committee with the possibility of an interview by a board member or members.
- Candidates will then be referred to the full board for a vote.
- Board members will be voted in at our March 14 annual meeting.
Ready to Apply?
Please email a cover letter and resume to Elenor Hodges.
More information: 703-228-6427.