- Are you a highly motivated individual looking for a place to channel your talents for a local, action driven nonprofit focused on environmental sustainability?
- Are you passionate about empowering people with the information, tools, and resources they need to live a more sustainable lifestyle?
- Do you possess the key skills needed to govern and grow a small, but high-impact environmental nonprofit?
If so, we’d love to talk with you about becoming a member of our board of directors.
We also have many other leadership opportunities available including:
Board of Directors
EcoAction Arlington is seeking motivated volunteers to join our board of directors who believe in our mission to promote sustainable living and who possess key skills to govern the organization and guide our work. Once elected to the board, and after attending a board orientation session, board members serve a two-year term (minimum) beginning July 1. From March through June, new board members will be considered “board members elect” and will be invited to attend all meetings as non-voting members.
The commitment involves:
- Completing a commitment form
- Volunteering a minimum of 50 hours each year
- Participating on a committee or task force (and attending meetings as needed)
- Making an annual financial contribution to EcoAction Arlington
- Attending a new board member orientation session
- Attending eight board meetings per year, usually on the 4th Wednesday at 7 – 9 p.m. as follows
- March – annual meeting (date varies)
- December – board and staff social (date varies)
The average time commitment per month is five hours. Note that we welcome applications from residents of the entire DC Metropolitan area.
Our priorities for 2020 are listed below. In addition to filling these positions, we are looking for new members with a wide range of points-of-view to inform our work and deepen our connection to all areas of our community. Some specific areas of interest include apartment dwellers, younger professionals, underrepresented groups, and multicultural representatives. We will also consider board members with other interests and skills beyond those highlighted here.
Your Role as a Board Member
Board members will …
- Educate her/himself about the programs & issues relevant to EcoAction Arlington.
- Serve as a committed member of the EcoAction Arlington Board of Directors and meet all board responsibilities detailed above, including making an annual financial gift to EcoAction Arlington (except student board members).
- Prepare for and participate constructively in board meetings and committee and provide financial and programmatic oversight to the organization.
- Set the tone for board and committee work, ensuring that all relevant information is shared among members of subcommittees, board members, and staff.
- Provide practical support and assistance to the Executive Director.
- Advocate on behalf of EcoAction Arlington with key stakeholders.
- Use connections to raise community awareness.
- Work with development committee and staff to develop and implement annual fundraising plan.
- Bring in financial support through personally solicited funds and sponsorships.
- To be considered for a position, please complete this expression of interest form as soon as possible and no later than Friday, January 17.
- Once your interest form has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the nominating committee, and we will contact selected candidates for interviews.
- Applicants selected to be added to the slate of candidates for election in 2020 will be approved by the board of directors at our February meeting and will be notified by February 28.
- Board members will be voted in at our March 11 annual meeting.
- If we still have positions available after the March 11 meeting, we will continue to accept expression of interest forms on a rolling basis, and additional board members may be voted in at future meetings of the board of directors.